What is the Carbohydrates
- Carbohydrates, or carbs, are sugar molecules. Along with proteins and fats
- carbohydrates are one of three main nutrients found in foods and drinks.
- Your body breaks down carbohydrates into glucose. Glucose, or blood sugar is the main source of energy
- for your body’s cells, tissues, and organs.
- Glucose can be used immediately or stored in the liver and muscles for later used.
- Carbohydrates are the main energy source for the body .
We need to:
- Provide us with the energy
- perform all body function including heat production, muscle exertion and
- The digestion and assimilation of the food we eat.
Carbohydrates are built up from smaller molecule called saccharide ,
in a similar way to proteins being made from amino acids.
Carbohydrates can be classified into main groups:
Simple carbohydrates provide us with a quick energy boost such as refined sugars, honey, fruit and fruit juices.
Complex carbohydrates provide a slower more controlled release of energy to hep sustain energy,
levels and blood sugar levels for longer.Good sources of complex carbohydrates are
whole grain foodssuch as wholemeal breads, cereals and grains,
beans , pulses, seeds, vegatables and fruit.
A healthy diet should contain morecomplex carbohydrates
than simple ones.
- Dietry demand for carbohydrate are increase to
- People that are more active
- Those training for mass gain
- Those involved in endurance sports